Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusmcdee99

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2004
GB
HI folks,

Hope someone can shed some light on this one. I have a user who has tried to install a camera driver, the net result now is no usb port on that machine works. They are all showing correct and as working in the device manager (Windows XP Pro sp 2). They are enabled within the BIOS and they are drawing power.. checked with a mobile phone.

When a device is plugged in the computer it makes no attempt to recognise it and or install drivers. We have preformed a restored the computer to pre installation of camera driver, but still nothing.

Any ideas?

my advice would be find the newest chipset driver for the motherboard and install it.

That program will help you identify the motherboard if you are unsure the make/model .

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Thanks for the suggestion. I've installed the lastest drivers and still nothing. Having run some further diagnostics within a linux enviroment, the port all report as function, but we still have not detection of new or old devices being plugged in.

Start think a re-format and install of every thing is going to be in order :(

Why not just buy a PCI expansion card that has extra USB ports on it? These new USB ports should work from my experience. Check with newegg.com:

They have one for about $5.99 and are a really good source for inexpensive hardware/software.

Deep Grewal
"Microsoft Works" - oxymoron

Maybe see if you can search for any possible USB hickups with WinXP and your chipset model or motherboard.

Your search text would be something like:

ChipsetModel Windows XP USP Problem

or

MotherboardModel Windows XP USB Problem.

That might get you some answers. Of course buying a PCI USB adapter will give you a solution, you just won't find the answer to the problem.

Also, it might be worth running a registry scrub with a program, such as this one:

- search for RegScrubXP - if there was some sort of registry problem, this program may fix that issue.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back