Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dtown33

MIS
Feb 1, 2006
US
My desktops usb ports are not working, I looked in the device manager and they are not there. I'm running Windows XP service pack 2, and the USB drivers and problems were address in service pack 1. How can I get them to work, because I can't load svr pack 1 over 2? So, can I get just the usb drivers and load them, and if so from where?

Download the chipset drivers from the manufacturess site or the motherboards site. Reinstall them and then they should work.

I've found in the past that if you delete all the USB ports in device manager and restart the machine this usually fixes the problem.

Two questions.
1)Were they there before? If so they may have been deleted, so do as the firt post suggests, only if you have unknow devices showing in the list. Make sure they are turned on in the BIOS of your motherboard.
2)You confused me about the service packs 1 and 2...why can't you install 2 overs one? is the file on a usb device or something? You should just be able to install it just fine regardless of what SP you have now and which one your installing. I'm not to sure I understand that part....but you can remove SP1..then install SP2, if you didn't remove your SP1 uninstall package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back