Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Port Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayBec

Programmer
Dec 5, 2001
US
I've got a laptop with two usb's. One of them is bad. is there a device I can use to basically split the usb? I need one usb to hook up a printer and the other to hook up to a chemical testing device.

Absolutely. You can get a multiport USB hub from any retailer that sells computer accessories. If shopping online, I recommend or
~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

hm directron.com, never heard of them before. How is there customer service? How are they price wise usually?

Newegg is who I use 98 percent of the time but still would like to find out more from this company in case newegg does not have what im looking for.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I usually deal with Directron when it comes to buying cables and small accessories. Their prices are consistently in the top 3, and for me it's a quick stop, checkout and delivery.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I use Tiger Direct for the small stuff. But the are only 10 miles away. Other big stuff new egg.

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

TigerDirect ive used , not really a fan of them but thats just me. Everyone has their own site they love to use lol. Being 10 miles away though helps as if you get the run around, you can drive up there and meet them in person lol.

Ill be checking directron out more closely now, seeing what they have. Small parts come in handy quite often, especially when you cant find them in your room lol.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I would like to add that this divides the voltage (5VDC), and the printer will likely use most. The other device may not work, or neither may work at all. Did you meter the USB port to see why it is not functional? Could be as simple as a cold solder joint.

Burt

As for the directron vs.newegg debate, my vote is for my hometown store (~20 miles), directron. Found out about them from PriceWatch and haven't looked back. Prices are always good and for me ground shipping is overnight, but I have to pay sales tax. I've NEVER had a problem with them including returns (they waived the restocking fee) which is more than I can say for newegg.

Plus, they are a real B&M store, with real system builders and tech help, not just a call center + warehouse. I don't hesitate to call when I'm not sure of compatibility or specs, and I always get a geek that answers my questions to my satisfaction, and he/she always seems to be right.

Try it, you'll like it!

Tony

burtsbees, "this divides the voltage (5VDC)...". I was under the impression it was a current limitation, not a division of the voltage. A powered hub would provide the extra current (mA) to sort the problem.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Yes, you can always get a powered hub if needed, but I suspect a basic 2 or 4 port USB hub that isn't powered will do just fine. I've had two printers and an optical mouse work fine on one. The printers don't rely on the power from the USB connection like a mouse, keyboard, or other powered peripherals would.

~cdogg

I don't use Tiger Direct to order over the web. We have a branch store. So I look it up on the web then go to the store. I have also use Computer Geeks.

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back