Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB PORT NOT REGONISING DEVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninja440th

Technical User
Dec 19, 2001
GB
Hi all

have got a ms-6119 motherboard
one of my usb ports work fine picks up anything i put in to it.....
the other just wont see any thing.
i have updated the bios,made sure usb is enabled in bios,
removed the usb hub in device manager and restarted forcing
a reinstall of usb componenants to no avail..
the system sees two ports in proberties even sisoft sandra sees two ports..
Now i would but it down to a board error but when i replaced the m/board with another same make etc,etc
same thing happens
any ideas or steps i've missed?????
Sorry this post is so long
thanks in advance

You say, "Sorry this post is so long", but in all actuality a post about hardware problems really can't be too long.
The more information you give out, the better your chances are of getting some relevant information back.

So, with that in mind, I'm requesting more info.
What OS ?
> Hate to ask, but have you wiped the hard drive, and reinstalled Windows ?

In MSINFO32 - what IRQ's are the USB Ports using ?

> Also,,,, to free up 2 IRQ's you should disable SERIAL PORTS in BIOS. If you are using NO OLD devices, then disable them; this will free up IRQ's 3 & 4.

You say that you have Flashed the BIOS....... and that the USB ports are enabled. SiSoft Sandra sees them. That is good information........ but is something that shows hardware functionality, NOT Windows working.

> See what happens after you free up some IRQ's.
See what the IRQ's are in MSINFO32,,,,,,,, and post the list.

*Last: As far as testing the ONE GOOD USB Port,,,, what are you plugging into it ?
Do you have mulitple USB hardware devices you can use to test both USB ports with ? (like a USB mouse, etc.)

I'll check back.........

Ok thanks

my O/s is WinME
p3 550
320mb ram
voodoo 5500

the usb is using IRQ 10
as for usb devices a alactel modem, thrustmaster afterburner joystick ,web cam......

if i plug the modem into the bad port i do get a red flashing light even when i remove the usb hub from device manager...

there is no conflicks in device manager and the usb is using the intel host controller..

i will try and free up the irq's and let you know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back