Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Optical Mouse hangs then starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientTiger

Programmer
Jul 5, 2001
US
Pretty much the same issue as except with Win2kPro SP4, and an Asus A8N32-SLI-DELUXE Socket 939

Have a Logitech usb optical mouse and a microsoft usb comfort keyboard. The keyboard works fine, but the mouse will periodically just freeze for 1-5 seconds, sometimes the mouse pointer will disappear and come back, then will resume normal operation. Sometimes is just hangs and I have to unplug the usb cable and plug it back in to get it to work again.

I've tried going into the device mangler and uninstalling the usb components, but it freeze me up and I end up cold-restarting my system twice to get the usb drivers to recognize and funtion with the keyboard/mouse.

I suspect it's an IRQ conflict, but I can't for the life of me remember how to check or correct this. I've looked in my BIOS but the IRQ listing makes no sense to me.

Any help would be mucho appreciated. I just HATE to have to reformat and reinstall right now... have to many projects going.

------------------------------------
[yinyang] Over 20 years of programming, and still learning every day! [yinyang]

Run Task Manager and see if the CPU is at 100% when this is happening. If so, it ties the system up completely to the point that the mouse won't function for a number of seconds.

If that's the case, you'll have to then troubleshoot the high CPU cause.

I'll try that this evening. Also, my wife was on the PC last night and I saw her wiggling the cable coming out of the mouse... I asked her what the heck she was doing and she said that sometimes that "fixes" it.

Thing is, her "fix" takes 1-5 seconds, the same amount of time that it usually takes for the mouse to "unfreeze" anyway... so not sure if that's the problem or not.

------------------------------------
[yinyang] Over 20 years of programming, and still learning every day! [yinyang]

Try another mouse? If the mouse did have a bad connection, then that could explain the computer having a hard time seeing "what in the world did you just connect to me."

I know on thumb drives, when the connection goes bad, Windows will be saying something to the extent - you've stuck some unknown object in my ear - please remove it. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back