Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB on M598 mobo does not function anyway ..... HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBaptista

Programmer
Aug 19, 2001
BR
My PC has the following hardware configuration::

MotherBoard M598LMR Super Socket 7
RAM 64MB PC100
HDD MAXTOR ATA66
OS WIN98SE

My Problem: I am trying to use the USB ports (or even the PS2 port) thru the optional ATX FORM CARD adapter (near KB plug) unsucessfully.

The system simply ignores any device I try to plug on it.

I have enabled USB options on BIOS SETUP, and the OS accepts and
recognizes the USB Root and Host Adapter, and it appears on
ControlPanel/System/Device panel.

The USB Optical Mouse (Leadership) I am trying to use is ok (I have
tested on a ASUS CUV4X).

Is there anything else I could do ???

Have USB been functional on this Mobo anytime ??

The ATX Form card have more than on model ? Different pinouts ??

I could use the PS2 plug to adapt this optical mouse, but this Mobo has
only one adapter to PS2 ----> via this ATX Form Card.

Please, help me ....

what os FatesWebb

if you do what I suggested it is not my fault...

Hmm. It could be that the USB Unknown Device is missing or corrupt. If missing the USB system will not be able to detect new devices plugged in. The Unknown Device registry entry activated the Detect Hardware Wizard.

Try this: go into Safe Mode, Device Manager, and completely remove all USB devices. Search the entire tree for any USB device entries, such as the Mouse entries, keyboard, etc. Delete them all (remember, USB only!)

Then reboot. Your mileage may vary...

Otherwise it really sounds like the ATX card is the wrong one. I noticed the previous posting regarding this, and there was a question about whether the card was the correct model or not. That just may be the problem.

Does the motherboard manual have pinouts on that header strip? Your mileage may vary...

Hi,
As far as I have got, the pinout (on borad and on the adapters stripe) seemed to match.
Later, at home I am going to check (with power on) the +5V pin on mobo pinout....

I have gone through a general checkout in all mobos Jumpers and Pins, and I 've discovered a non-documented : J3 connection

I have read M598 and M598LMR manuals and I did not found anything about J3.
I have tried an updated manual unsuccessfully.
PC Chips website points to wrong or non-existent doc file.
Do you have it or know where I can get it ...?

Found a site that had the info. The J3 jumper is for CMOS Clear. I'm sorry but it's not what you are looking for (resets the BIOS back to factory defaults). Your mileage may vary...

You've misunderstood it .

CMOS Clear/Normal ---> Jumper JP3

I had meant J3 ( an 8 or 10 pins altogether) near CPU and its Power circuitry.

By the way, I have measured the J1 pinout and did not find the voltages the manual shows in its pinout. It were completed different, althought it from M598 board, instead of the mobo id (M598LMR PCB 1.3a ).

Here is the complete manual PDF on the board:

The J8 is for digital audio.

Look at the following pages:

response #17 looks interesting.

also has some interesting links

There are 2 major issues -

(1) The BIOS is unstable, with the updated one the worst of all.
(2) The FSB speed of 100MHz causes errors as the chipset is only rated for 82MHz, and the clock actually provides 90MHz when set @100MHz. People recommend to set around 83MHz and it proved more stable. Your mileage may vary...

Are you sure the red line goes clossest to the 1 on the pin outs ? just a sugestion ......

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

J10 is the PS/2 mouse connector - do you have anything plugged in? If so, unplug it. If all else fails you can use that connection to get PS/2 mouse support.

BTW, what power supply are you using, AT or ATX?

On JP8 you have pins 1 & 2 jumped, right? The factory ships it w/2 & 3 jumped.

Your mileage may vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back