Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzofid

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
CA
I have an Acer 340T laptop with XP Pro on it. The USB port is not working. I have enabled USB in BIOS, thoroughly checked device manager, and many other things but new printers and digital cameras will not work. The software installs correctly but the computer does not recognize the devices as being plugged in. Plug and play is also enabled. Acer says that XP is not supported for this laptop and there are no upgrades for BIOS, USB, etc. However, the person that gave me this laptop has 2 more of the same laptops with working USB's running XP. Unfortunately I can't get it to him to check it out.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
Have you tried the Add New Hardware?

Let windows check your system for any devices that it hasn't installed - If the USB was enabled after the OS was installed it just might be that USB support was not installed.

Please post back to let us know how you get on.

Regards. I am not a number. I am a free man!
(6)

One must wonder whether its XP or faulty USB ports. I'd be inclined to try and install Win98 on a separate partition and see if the USB works.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Yes, I have tried Add New Hardware. That didn't work either. It very well could be an XP problem or the USB is faulty. I don't have the means to test the USB right now. One person told me that USB's on older laptops won't work with any new equipment.

I was hoping to avoid going back to Win98 if possible but I might have to.

Hello peeps,
forgive me, but I don't like untidy threads.

This problem was solved, yet the poster has posted his "own" answer as a tip rather than signing off on this thread.

thread602-452642

Regards to all those who like "tidy" threads.
I am not a number. I am a free man!
(6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back