Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Networked Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2008
US
I have a Konica Minolta USB printer that i have networked through a netgear usb to network device then it runs into a network hub then back to a router then that router connects to a print-server.

My problem is that that printer will work maybe 1 out of 10 times if we are lucky. We know it's not the printer but it seems like the printer goes into Stand By then wont wake up unless you turn it off then back on and then it works only half the time.

- Matt

"Never Give a Sword to a Man Who Can't Dance"

Win 98/2000/2003 Server/XP/Vista, Active Directory
- VB6, Access, Excel, HTML
- Dreamweaver, Fireworks
OS X 10.4/10.5
Linux Red Hat, Xubuntu, Ubuntu

Sound like a lot of hops to get that printer connected to a print server. Why not just plug directly USB into the print server? And when I say print server, I mean something like a HP JetDirect print server that has a USB port.

Konica Minolta USB printers have had a lot of problems with print servers.. i have had come across this problem a few years back and Konica said the only way around it was to by a compatible PS they use...

[cannon] [worm]
"Practice makes Perfect"
("la pratique rend parfait")
CPO rt'd RN

cajuntank said:
Why not just plug directly USB into the print server? And when I say print server, I mean something like a HP JetDirect print server that has a USB port.
I'd agree, except the HP Jetdirect 175x Print Server can be temperamental too, even with HP printers, giving the same symptons as described by mattloflin.

HP Jetdirect 175x Print seem to work fine with Win2K but in my experience seems to be an issue with the WinXP spooler. The work around is a reboot of the PC and the page(s) then print immediately.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back