Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB modem recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aharrisreid

Programmer
Nov 17, 2000
GB
I am having trouble with a USB ISDN Hayes Accura modem which is crashing the pc (blue screen) every time I unplug the USB connector from my laptop PC. I have installed SP1 for XP, and the latest driver from Hayes, but to no avail.

Can anyone recommend a USB modem which works will with XP pro on a laptop?

Many thanks,
Alan

well, there shouldn't be any problems with any usb modems as long as the compatibility is there. meaning, is both devices the same USB type, is the modem for XP ect? are you even able to plug other USB devices to the same USB plug? if all is find and it seems that its just a problem with that modem and your pc, just pick any other USB modem and i'm sure you would have the same problems.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

internetech, thanks for the reply.

>>is both devices the same USB type, is the modem for XP ect?<<

Yes to both.

>> are you even able to plug other USB devices to the same USB plug? <<

Unfortunately I don't have any other USB devices to test with.

Regards,
Alan

are you , by chance, useing the USB hook-up on the keyboard? if so, that would cause this problem. try seeing if you can get ahold of some other USB device and try that.

i don't know if you have been here, but:
good luck!

&quot;Jack of all trades. Master of none.&quot;
[americanflag]

internetech, thanks for the reply.

>>are you , by chance, useing the USB hook-up on the keyboard? if so, that would cause this problem.<<

What is the USB hookup on the keyboard? I am using a laptop pc, so the keyboard is integral.

>> try seeing if you can get ahold of some other USB device and try that.<<

Unfortunately I don't have any other USB devices - I'll have to borrow one from somewhere.

Regards,
Alan

that would probably be the best idea. by seeing if you can even use the port will allow you to resolve it through the computer manufacturer if you can't.

so, you said it will &quot;blue screen&quot; after you unplug it? does that mean it will work fine until then?

i think it is a hardware issue, but thats just a &quot;hunch&quot;. let me know if we can help.

&quot;Jack of all trades. Master of none.&quot;
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back