Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Modem---- how to connect to switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dublin101

Technical User
May 26, 2006
AU
I am getting this USB modem which is supposed to connect to my PC USB port...............

I need to be able to share this connection, so somehow connect to a switch, and run two ethernet cables to my pcs........how can i do this?

ps..i know i can use one computer as a router, but in this case, i cannot do that!

Since the modem is a USB client and must be connected to a USB host in order to operate, you will have to connect it to one of your computers. I'm not aware of any switch that will support a dialup modem and provide a PPP client to provide an Internet connection.

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is the obvious answer, but it will require you to leave one of the PCs in place to act as the Internet router.

pansophic

Much easier just to get a modem/router. Most come with 4 Ethernet ports to cable direct to the additional computers, and you don't need to load any drivers as you'd have to with a USB device. And as Pansophic says ICS requires the main PC to be left running for the others to work...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

thanks for being innovative, but that can't be done............hence the reason for me asking on this forum!!!

Ok, no problem. Are you saying "but that can't be done.." for technical or personal reasons?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

technical............they ISP will only give this modem!

so they obviously want to limit the modem to one connection.

A majority of ISPs give USB modems to new customers - doesn't mean you mustn't connect more than one machine. Several will indeed sell you a router, and as far as I'm aware most don't really care if the customer connects several machines. Who's your ISP?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

its a new service called NEXT-G wireless anywhere...ISP is Telstra, AUstralia

Ok, now I can see what sort of service you're on. You would probably have been given 4 options. CABLE, ADSL, WIRELESS or SATELLITE. As I see it the option you've settled for, namely WIRELESS, requires a special PCMCIA (or USB dongle) card. You are sending and receiving on different frequencies to conventional 802.11b/g WiFi (which is 2.4GHz). You are operating on Third Generation Mobile (cellphone) bands. This technology cannot be shared in the conventional manner that one would expect of an ADSL service. I would imagine you'd have to purchase another special 3G PCMCIA card, which could be an expensive way to get another PC on the Internet.

I would guess that the ease of use as regards wireless Internet possibly tempted you to go for this option. If you were to swap options and go for ADSL brought into the house on copper wires, then a conventional router, even a wireless router, could be employed.

This is my reading of the technology you have in Australia. However, someone with hands-on knowledge of the kind of equipment you're using may be able to offer alternatives...

Good luck.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back