Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Memory Keys nt showing in "My Computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelix

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
GB
We have a number or IBVM machines that are having issues with USB memory and the drive showing.

You put the key in and it detects it and installs it. You go into my computer and its not there.

You can however access it via DOS or if you go into drive manager you can see it in there and can right click it and open it and use it. However you cant explore as it does nothing.

Any ideas

I have the same issue with several machines at work. To work around, I open Internet Explorer and type the drive letter followed by a colon in the address bar.

I have just found somthing that has helped on my system

regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
System
CurrentControlSet
Services
USBSTOR

Chanage the value of start to 4
Reboot machine
Change the vale of start back to 3
Reboot

Im now seeing USB devices when i plug them in

Ok this only works for one reboot sorry back to the drawing board

Nelix,

If you do not have the service started, your first change is the correct one.

For the key "Start," valid values of x are:

2 - Automatic <<--- this is an acceptable setting
3 - Manual <<--- this is the correct setting
4 - Disabled << -- this is what you are doing the 2nd time

I will let you make the change in one line. Highlight with your mouse and right-click copy the highlited line below. THen Start, Run, and right-click Copy into the box that appears:

reg add "hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\usbstor" /v Start /t reg_dword /d 3

I allways find its a drive letter assignment conflict. USB key trying to use letter assigned to network drive. Open the disk manager and see if its listed there. If so change the assigned letter.

HTH

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

Some things to look at.

AutoPlay intermittently does not detect removable media or digital cameras

314634 - Windows XP Does Not Detect Your New USB Device

USB device does not function after connecting device to a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer or to a Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005-based computer

XP Home won't recognize Lexar Jump Drive
thread779-1100358

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back