Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB mem-sticks and Citrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattScan

MIS
Jan 12, 2004
AU
Hey all,

My company here is currently looking into providing USB memory sticks for all the students. The vast majority of student machines here are Thin Clients (Siemens SCovery XS) connecting to a Metaframe XP 10-server farm (running Win2k SP4...looking to revert back to sp3 asap ;).

After some quick testing, it would seem that the (thin)clients were unable to map the sticks within the Citrix client.

Is there any trick to using USB devices with citrix clients?
Do any local drives need to be mapped with the thin client's local O/S before opening a citrix connecion?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt,

At the present time you can not “map” USB ports from a Citrix session. If the client can map it to a drive letter then drive mapping would work from the client and you could write to the device.

Since I don’t know what type of terminals you are on (make, model, embedded OS) I don’t know if you can map a drive letter to the device. Most of the thin client terminals can’t do this so I am going to assume (I hate to use that word) that you will be unable to do it.

Justyn

Justyn Worrell
MCP, MCSE, MCT, CCA, CCEA, CCI
SCSA, CCSA, CCSE, CCNA, AANG-UP

I think (but haven't tried it yet) that memory sticks will work provided you are using a Windows XPe thin client.

Don't suppose this helps you much - since you already have the terminals.

Wyse Compaq and Neoware all offer such a terminal.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Going to take another look into our thin client's O/S (ELUX 2.52... linux) and see if they have any real usb storage support with later versions.
Least I know this won't be as easy as we had hoped ;)

Cheers,

Matt

Wyse thin things run with Usb keyboards and have another usb port on them. If I get the chance I will try one out and get back.

Cheers
Scott

Just updating this in case anyone is interested :)

Our thin clients, Siemens's SCovery XS with ELux Embedded O/S , do support MemBirds (USB Memory sticks).
However, our current version of ELux, 2.52 seems to be the sticking point.

It does allow was to map membird's to a drive letter. Citrix then picks up the mapping. However when you select the drive in the windows published desktop, it lights up the floppy LED, but wont see any data on either the Mem stick or a floppy...

We are currently trying to find an update for the ELux O/S with little luck so far.
siemens seem to stop writing docs for it a few versions back, and the creater of ELux doesn't really have any decent online support.

Off to google

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Matt

Just joined, and having same trouble getting mem-sticks to work through Citrix ICA on Windows 2k TS with Citrix Metaframe.

We are getting ready to deploy a number of HPt5300 with Win CE.net OSs.

We were assured the mem-sticks would be visible and work as drives, and they do, but at the CE level, only.

After login to the TS, no sign of any client drives.
New to the TS world, and will appreciate any help.
Bob in sunny PDX

have anyone find out how to access drives in hp t5300
from citrix both cdroms and mem sticks

Hopful for an answer
Regards Magnus

Hi,

USB Sticks aren't supported on Neoware Capio 620 devices either!

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back