Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB keys are not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
Hi,
I have noticed for a while that my stationary PC is not supporting any USB keys I use. These USB keys are working fine with other PC'S, and have checked the USB controllers in the control panel and is not showing any probems at all.
Anyone have a suggestion what could be wrong?

1. USB power too low... check BIOS setting...
2. driver messed up... plug USB keyboard into another USB port...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Check the drive letter of the USB stick on a computer it works on. There is a possibility that it conflicts with a drive letter assignment on your stationary PC. If so, change the drive letter of the USB stick to a known un-used letter and then try it on your stationary PC.

Mike

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran!

If BadBigBen 1st issue is the problem try using a powered
USB hub to connect your devices. If you have a lot of USB
devices connected to your computer, it can overload the
supplied voltage by exceeding the current allowed on the
USB ports. Using an external USB hub with an external
power supply removes the load from the PC and lets the
USB devices work at the required current and voltage.
Powered USB 2.0 hubs should be relatively inexpensive.

Pete/Technician-now retired
Nicknamed "Einstein" by former co-workers

- Well the main drive have assigned the name H:, and the 4 other USB drives have assigned the name C:, D:, E:, F:
- I have tried see if it reads it from other USB sticks, but it doe nor react to it at all.
- Previously I didnt use any drivers to read from the USB keys, just inserted them in pc and a new window poped up where I could open its folder.

Could it be because Windows is missing some files?

we have established now that the term 'USB Keys' is in fact referring to USB Flash drives.... not USB KEYboards....

Previously I didn't use any drivers to read from the USB keys, just inserted them in PC and a new window popped up where I could open its folder.
That is how it should be...

to find out if Windows is currupted, you can run from the RUN BOX or CMD window (also called CLI - command line interface) the following command:

SFC /SCANNOW

but have your XP cd at hand, as it will ask for it and is necessary...

Ben

BadBigBen: your suggestion unfortunately didnt help. Still hen inserting the flash drives it doesnt detect it.
Any other suggestion rather than the sledgehammer?

If the problem is the USB device on my pc is not functioning well, how can I test it, and if the test results the failure is from the device on my pc, is it posible to replace it with another new one?

could you provide us with a bit more info...

e.g. Motherboard brand and type, OS Service Pack level (SP2 or SP3)...

To test if USB ports work or not, you'd need a LOOPBACK plug and some expensive test software... or you use a known good working USB device, either an USB STICK or an USB HDD...

if they are/would be damaged or non functional, you could always go out and buy a cheap PCI USB2.0 card (should be no more than $15 or so)...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back