Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB keyboard will only work in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jun 20, 2003
US
I have a (!) in decive manger for a USB Keyboard. The USB keyboard will only work in SAFE MODE. I have tried take it out and letting windows reinstall it but it still dosen't work. The (Num Lock) is on but when the windows screen come on the (Num Lock) goes off; this happens only in Normal Mode. Please Help?

The number lock key is controlled as an option:

1. In your BIOS
2. You can make a setting in Win.ini in Win9x versions of Windows.

Look at those two places for the source of your problem.

If you google "keyboard setting utility" in Google you will find a lot of freeware utilities to set the keyboard nearly any way you want.

Hola,

there is another possibility... it could have to do with overclocking of the CPU...

let me put it in other words... I have a USB Mouse that doesn't function when the CPU is overclocked, it flashes shortly after boot up then goes and dies... it will function correctly again when I step down the FSB vs. PCI clock on my system...

check your PCI bus speed and CPU FSB and see if they are correctly set...

BEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back