Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB HDD used as temp install point

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioActiveLamb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2002
US
I have the greatest USB HDD on the planet - The IODD virtual ROM drive. It has several modes of operation, including "CD" mode, where it emulates a CD drive from an ISO stored on the HDD, HDD mode, which is a simple USB HDD, and "combo" mode, where it acts as both.

My concern is with the HDD mode and Windows 7.

When I have this plugged-in, and run a Windows installer, Windows uses the USB drive as its temporary installation point; creating those folders named like "8046c5718576afb105". Once the install is finished, the folder is supposed to go-away. It usually does, but not always.

My question is how to force Windows to use the user variable TEMP or the system variable TEMP to establish a proper location for these temp folders. I usually see these folders in the root of the boot volume of any PC that I don't use this drive. My TEMP and TMP variables are the system default (in my profile and in c:\windows\temp).

Because it is using external storage, the installs are slower than they need to be.

Any clues?

Thanks!

Jeff Lamb

I think that in many cases Windows will dump its' temporary folders, and the files within, onto the partition that has the least amount of data stored on it.

"When you install Windows XP SP1, SP1a or SP2, this temporary folder is created on the volume that has the most free space. The folder name contains random characters, and is not always created on the same volume as the Windows folder. For example, this temporary folder may have the following random names:"

Folders name with random characters appear after installing a Service Pack or hotfix?

Windows Drops Folders all over my System
thread779-1535096

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back