Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Hardisk does not safely remove

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbusa11

MIS
Oct 2, 2005
US
I recently ordered a hard disk enclosure and made myself a USB hard disk. I have a Maxtor 160 GB hard disk installed in it. It works awesome but when I am done using it with my windows xp pro laptop and I go to “safely remove hardware” and click on safely remove USB Mass storage device, it gives me an error saying something like cannot close resource. I have checked to make sure there are no files or folders open from the disk so I just end up switching it off..

Any hints

You run into that a lot, or i should say that i do. I have about a dozen or so usb\firewire drives, some are external boxes, some thumb drives.
My firewire box with a maxtor 80 gig h drive in it does the same thing. I cant use the "safely remove hardware" button in my tray for this unit, it just wont work.
Usually i just turn it off and all is well. If i have been writing to it lately then i will go to task mgr and log off and log back in again and then it will turn off. But doing that so many times i figure its about the same as just waiting a while after the last write and just going ahead and turning it off. You arent supposed to do that but what the heck can one do when it wont work the way its supposed to!!
Going to properties and turning off the "enable write caching on the disk" is supposed to help but it hasnt helped me any with this one unit, might help you out though. I believe this is also called "write behind" as well.
My other units will turn off using the "safely remove hardware" icon, just this one firewire drive wont. Sometimes they take more than one try but eventually they turn off, except of course the one firewire unit.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back