Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB harddisk removeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbrother

Technical User
Mar 21, 2005
NL
Im using a software application where i can use a backup function. But i can only backup to "removeable" hardware. But when i use a USB-harddisk it doesnt see it, cause its a "standard" disk in my "disk managment". When i use a USB pen i can backup to that, but not to the HDD.

So is there a way to make the USB harddisk a "removable" instead of a "standard"?

Thnx in advance :)

Just as a workaround, there are a ton of backup programs out there, a lot of them free, that will do the job for you with the hardware as it is. I mention this as i always run backups and i have never run into a program that wouldnt back up to a standard disk! So i think you should dump your software, you can google a replacement for free! Or just wait a bit, me or others will give you some examples of software you can get free.

Some hardware setups work differently, some set up as a removable (floppy drive), some set up as a hard drive.
If i had run into that then i would know what to tell you but i havent and i have used quite a few different backup progs. You could try a different usb box or even a firewire box and see if they set up as a removable instead of a hard drive. Bt again, i would simply get new software.
What software are you using and i would imagine that you have checked to see if there is a setting that would enable it to be used, so i wont go there.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

It depends on the device and how it lets windows detect the drive. My external, which I installed into the case myself, works as removable media.. our external drives at work, which ship as external, also show up as removable.. sounds like your hardware lets the system detect as if it was sitting inside the system.. very interesting.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

The usb unit you have, did it come as one piece or did you add a hard drive to it?
You can buy just the usb box and put your own hard drive in and you can buy a usb box with a hard drive already in it, but you can usually take that hard drive out and put another one in.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

I found the solution :)

Its in the USB controller, wich i cant enter. The problem is that a USBstick works on flash memory, while the USBdisk functions as a real disk. So it becomes a "standard" disk in winXP.

And changing software is impossible, its an application we developed ourself and is running on a server at our clients. They have acces to the server to look up the files we collect for them. There for we set the backup to only removeable media. Changing software is no option.

there are some USB disks out there who do support the "removable" option, we have to use those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back