Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB for NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopster

Programmer
Jun 26, 2003
GB
I'm running Windows NT on my Laptop, which has a USB port, but I've been told that Microsoft don't support USB for NT.
Is anyone aware of any 3rd party software that can overcome this?
Cheers

Chopster

Not that I am aware. NT 4 doesn't support plug and play anyway, so you wouldn't be able to hot plug USB devices like you can on 98/2K/XP.

My recommendation would be to upgrade to Windows 2000 if you need USB capabilities.

John

Apart from some specific device 3rd party USB drivers (which reportedly don't work properly anyway!) there's no USB support for NT (so would endorse John's suggestion).

Thanks for the advice guys.
I tried to install 2000 when I first acquired the laptop but I had a few problems with the display being very dim(which eventually led me to installing NT)
I think the phrase, stuck between a rock and a hard place is appropriate!

odd - did you have right drivers for 2k (I can't imagine why 2k would produce a dim display, and NT not!)

I had a look at the bsquare link, it was looking good until it said it wasn't suitable for cameras (which is exactly what I want it for!) aarrgh.
Thanks for your time, I feel it's time to have another go at Win2K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back