Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Flash Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccanalia

Technical User
Jul 27, 2004
US
I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2, I do not have a floppy disk drive but I do have a USB Flash Drive. When I connect my Flash Drive, Windows automatically sets this device as G:. Is there any way for me to change this? I would like to be able to use my Flash Drive as an acting A: drive. Does anybody know if this is even possible and if so, how could this be done?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Logon as Administrator.

Try start -> right click my computer -> manage -> Storage -> Disk Management -> Right click on your USB flash drive and see if it can let you reassign the letter as A:

I don't have an XP Pro machine to hand without a floppy drive to test to see if this will work.

John

I don't think Windows will allow the letters A: or B: to be assigned to any drive except a floppy. Blame Bill Gates.

Actually XP will allow you to do this. I tested it out right after I got the response from jbarnett. Thanks John your response worked perfectly.

I couldn't make it list any drive letter's behind the drive letter of the drive I wanted to change.It only listed drive letter's forward of the drive. Can u explain how to make this work?
Thanx

Change A to H
Change G to A

You need to make room in the lower driver letter space by moving what you can to a higher driver letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back