Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

usb firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjbradford

Technical User
Dec 14, 2007
GB
hi all,

i know theres a usb version of firefox that you can run under windows , ie plug your stick in and click on the .exe

but

is there a linux version ie plug your stick into a linux box mount the usb and maybe bash /mnt/sda1 firefox or something ?

many thanks

One way to find out would be to copy the /usr/lib/firefox directory
(or wherever it's installed) to a pendrive and test it.....

What distro do You use?
FF is preinstalled on most distroes, so why do you need it on a stick?

i have a netvisa 2200 with linux install , 28mb in total

offers everything i need apart from a really good browser , ok so that will be a large part of the system but if i could firefox it then i would be a very happy man.

i will give it ago cheers

berlios linux

it complains about a bus error if i copy it off of another system to a stick.

Firefox as installed in distros may include symlinks here and there which would make it unsuitable for copying to other file systems (i.e. FAT32 on a flash drive).

Download Firefox from (something like firefox-2.0.0.12.tar.gz, just download right from the main page). You'll get a binary of Firefox, pretty much the same as what would be in /usr/lib/firefox on most Linux systems. Just run the `firefox` executable to run Firefox.

Note that Firefox 2.x needs compat-libstdc++ installed. I know this isn't installed by default on CentOS 5 and Fedora Core 6 and older, but I can't say if it's there on other distros. I think any distro that came with Firefox 2.x itself should already have it installed... but it'll be something to keep in mind. If you don't have it, you'll be told you don't have it when you try to execute firefox.

-------------
Cuvou.com | My personal homepage
Project Fearless | My web blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back