Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB external DVD conflict question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajpooley

Instructor
Feb 9, 2005
AU
I have a NU brand DVDRW model DDW-164 and a 5.25" USB 2.0 external enclosure model 509-U2. If I use these two items together I get a message that "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" under device manager for the mass storage device.
This is the case on every computer that I have tried (4 to date) no matter the operating system (win98SE, XP SP1, XP SP2)

Yet if I plug the DVDRW directly into the computer IDE socket there are no problems on any of the computers, also every other drive that I have tried with the USB enclosure words fine (I have tried it sucessfully with DVD/CDRW, CD and various HDD drives)

It makes no difference whether I plug in to USB 2.0 or 1.1 port always the same error with no listing of the drive in My Computer.

If anybody has any suggestions I would be grateful

Thanks in advance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back