Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB digital camera as removable drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSfromCO

Programmer
May 3, 2002
US
The first time I plugged in a digital camera XP automatically recognized a new USB device and presented me with a nice window saying "what do you want to do when this device is connected". Unfortunately I selected "Do Nothing" and I also selected "Do this every time". So now when I plug in the camera again logged in as this user it does nothing. XP does show a USB Mass Storage device that is the camera, but it does not show up under "My Computer" as a removable drive.

Logged in as another user, when the window came up saying "what do you want to do when this device is connected", I selected something like "Open a window to browse files on the device". Under this user it works great, the camera shows up as a removable drive under "My Computer".

Both users have administrator rights.

How can I "un-do" the selection that I made under the first user so that it will ask me again what I want it to do when the camera is connected?

In xp pro go to RUN type gpedit.msc
computer config >> administrative>> templates>> system
right click on turn off autoplay and select component to have
autoplay
I think this will correct your problem

I am using XP Home Edition so there is no GPEDIT.MSC.

I tried the steps mentioned in the first link from BROWOLF but I checked my registry and I don't have an entry in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] for the NoDriveTypeAutoRun key.

The entry in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] for NoDriveTypeAutoRun is set to Hex 91.

I think a setting in the registry is the right type of solution because the USB digital camera works for 4 user IDs on the computer but it doesn't work for 1 user (the one who answered "do nothing - all the time" the first time the camera was connected under that user).

Hmmm....

Login as the other user provided they have administrative privledges, navigate to the profiles under documents and settings, make a copy of the profile you are having the problem with and place it in another directory. Then delete the profile. Create another user, login, and accept the settings for the camera once it is plugged in. Then navigate to the old profile and pull anything over that you might need like email settings, internet favorites, etc.

Good Luck.

I think that creating a new user will work, but to be honest if thats what it takes to fix the problem I will probably just log-in as a user that is already working properly when I want to download pictures from the camera.

Thanks.

Tweakui offers an easier method. Go to my computer> Autoplay> drives and re-check the box for removable drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back