Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB devices on FC3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedawk

Programmer
Feb 5, 2002
US
Hi,

Questions again: I can't mount USB devices(USB hard drive or thumb drive) on the FC3. I can see a USB port is connected but not connect under the mounting port.

Also, is it the same configuration procedure for digital camera? I use the FC3 provided digital camera tool but don't find my camera type.

Thanks for replies to my other posts.

The devices show up when you enter lsusb?

For recent hardware you may need a recent kernel.
For the camera, the chip-type might be appropriate for further searches, since often different models share the same chip.
Searching the kernel sources and documentation might help.

Can you tell some details about thumb-drive, harddrive and camera/chip?

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Hi,

It seems FC3 can see USB hard drive's existence because I can see a USB icon under the /mnt directory. However, I just can't see the content of the USB drive. If I try to mount, I get a message that the ntfs file system is not matched. But I think FC3 can at least read ntfs system, right?

Thanks.

Have you tried to mount by specifying the file system (-t switch)?

mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

pansophic

I am very sure it is in ntfs. FC3 can see either ntfs or fat32. But even I mount it by -t option as Pansophic suggested, I couldn't read the contents. Still puzzling. Where tools I can use to check?

Thanks.

I'm not very experienced in Linux and have never used FC, but can you add a line to fstab? I was able to mount my windows partition (on a dual booted system with the following line)...

Code:
/dev/hda1 /media/windows ntfs nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0

Of course you'll probably want to change the mount point. Not sure if this will work or not. My usb is vfat and I can mount it by adding this line to fstab (and then creating the directory).
Code:
/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 vfat rw,user,noauto 0 0

No, adding this line still can't bring up the /mnt/usb drive content.

I accidently found that if I plugged in a 128M USB thumb drive, FC3 can read it. However, the 200G external USB hard drive is still a problem.

How are you mounting the thumb drive that is different from how you are mounting the external?

Are you just allowing the system to automount the thumb drive?

pansophic

Yes, the thumb drive is automatically mount. I didn't need to manually mount the thumb drive. I did further check with my thumb drive, it is in fat32 format. So the issue still boils down to ntfs usb drive mounting. But I just don't understand why I can see the usb icon even the mounting is not success. I am still suspecting the /etc/fstab is not correct. Maybe I need to borrow someone's working /etc/fstab file for external USB hard drive to do a test.

With your device plugged in, issue [tt]lsscsi[/tt]. You will get a listing of SCSI devices and the corresponding device node.

If the that doesn't work try [tt]cat /proc/scsi/scsi[/tt]. You won't the device node but you'll know if you system can see it. ... Which I'm sure it can.

Using either method, does the device show up? If it does try using fdisk to get a partion table listing.

On an off chance do you remember the disk type as defined by windows, Basic or Dynamic? If it was dynamic you will have to use a windows box to see the contents. I can't remember where I read it but once Windows tags the disk as dynamic Linux can't use it unless you re-format it or get third-party assistance.

Have Fun! [afro2]

Fedora used to compile their kernels without NTFS support (I have no idea why). Do you have an NTFS kernel module?

Try looking for "ntfs.ko." It should be in /lib/modules/<kernel_name>/kernel/fs/ somewhere. If you can find it, try an insmod and see if you can load it.

pansophic

I tried IRudebwoy's method but the system doesn't have SCSI device with either method. But I am not quite sure and how to use fdisk. I am afraid I will lose my data on the USB hard drive after fdisk.

At the same time, I did a file search on my hard drive but couldn't locate ntfs.ko either according to Pansophic.

By the way, where does the ntfs.ko come from? I might not install it when I setup FC3.

Thanks.

No, Fedora doesn't compile it into the kernel, so you either have to roll your own kernel and include NTFS support, or you need to find an RPM that includes NTFS support, or you can install it through yum. I recommend the latter method.

Here is a link that should be helpful:

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back