Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

usb d-link drops connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodwf

MIS
Sep 20, 2005
CA
I have windows 7 and a d-link DWA 130C usb nic, it keeps dropping connection. I troubleshoot the problem and although it fixes the connection (although brief) i keep getting the same reasons. 1) The connection between your access point, router or cable modem and internet connection is broken :detected. 2) The default gateway is not available : fixed.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why i keep getting the same issues? is it the nic or the router dropping connection?

Probably more info would be helpful...

Has this USB device previously worked continuously with this router?

Cannot immediately find DWA 130C but will assume it's a USB WiFi device...

What level of signal strength is being registered by the WiFi software, and what distance is there between the devices?

Make sure power-saving is turned off in Device Manager for this device, and try setting wireless to a different channel on the router.

What about other devices close by? Microwave ovens throw out 2.4Ghz and if close by can cause problems with WiFi, as can some cordless phones (check frequency). Any other WiFi networks close to you? If yes, reset the channel so you have maximum separation, or at the very least one unused channel between yours and the neighbours.

That should do for starters...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Hey G0AOZ,

The device is a usb wifi, there's no microwave nearby and i'm about 20 feet away from the router. I did have a cordless phone with 2.6Ghz but have changed that to a 6.0 so the phone isn't a problem. I don't think the device has worked 'continuously' since having it as i've only had the computer and usb wifi for a week. I'll take a look at power savings and change the channel and see what happens.

Forgot to add, i have full bars on the connection., I changed to settings in the device so the computer doesn't turn it off for power saving, i'll see what happens.

Ok, so i tried the settings with power-saving off and changed the channel but it still looses connection and i get the same reasons why.

When you say you troubleshoot it and then it briefly connects, what time period are we talking about that it actually works for?

Try setting the Windows 7 computer so it has no power saving of any sort AT ALL., i.e. no sleep, no hibernate, no hard disk turn off, etc.

You said it shows a strong wireless signal from the router. When you 'lose the connection' does the wireless card show no signal strength, or does it still show 'full bars'?

Check the manufacturer's website for updated drivers/firmware for both router and USB device.

If you don't have, can you borrow say an XP machine, and see if after installing the DLink WiFi device it stays up?

Presumably a temporary Ethernet connection to the router stays up ok?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back