Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Card Reader and Delphi

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcusick

Programmer
Dec 26, 2006
US
Does anyone know a way to read from a USB swipe card reader into a Delphi Program?

We were trying to use the MSCOMM1 connection and a program that MagTek has that virtually assigns the USB port to a COM port, but it is unrealiable at best.

I was just curious as to know if anyone out there has ever gotten to work or is currently working with a USB swipe reader and what they are using to retrieve the data.

I know there is HID USB stuff in the JEDI library but i'm not sure what I would need to use from that to read the Swiped cards...

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas/comments?

Thanks in advance...

Tom C

We have successfully used a virtual comport driver I think the company supplying this is FTDI.
This creates assigns a virtual commport to a USB connection.
Delphi can then connect to this with CPortLib TCommportdriver and this seems to be quite stable.

Other than this (and to avoid the software overhead) we have supplied USB to Serial converter leads. Again the serial comport driver uses this as it would any other comport.

Steve [The sane]: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back