Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgodfrey71

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2004
GB

I recently installed a Belkin 5 port USB 2.0 card into my PC, which is a Compaq Evo running XP Pro. I did this because my PC only had a USB 1.1 card which wasn't up to date enough to work with my iPod.

When I switched the PC back on Windows recognised the card immediatley and automatically installed the drivers. I was then able to connect and use the iPod perfectly ok for the rest of the day.

The next morning I started up the PC and it froze on startup while displaying the Windows XP page. I turned it off and tried a couple more times without luck. I then took the USB card out and the PC booted up perfectly ok.

Mt questions is - why doesn't my PC appear to like the card ? It worked fine first time round but now if I put the card back in it just hangs on startup.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I had a similar problem with a Soyo motherboard. I'm convinced there was a problem running both the USB 1 and 2 drivers simultaneously. Here's what I did.

1. Deleted all the USB drivers from Windows.

2. Shut down and removed the Belkin card.

3. I restarted my PC and entered the BIOS and turned off the integrated USB 1 controllers.

4. Shut down and insert the Belkin card.

5. Restarted and Windows "found new hardware" and installed the USB 2 driver, and everything worked perfectly (of course, without the original USB 1 ports which were now inactive).

By the way, I was assuming that you were using XP. If not, you may need to follow the directions that came with the Belkin card to manually install the drivers.

I had something like this happen on an old Pentium running Win 98SE. In that case, I found an IRQ conflict. I had to disable one of two controllers(?) on the card. The remaining devices did work OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back