Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB bah-humbug 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundust1

Technical User
Jul 29, 2005
US
I have a sytem set up for my Mother. It includes windows 98SE a pentIII 450Mhz old computer. I have tried to install a printer a Lexmark 705 to her computer via USB. Windows will not even recoginize the printer i checked the cable and found it to be a USB 2.0 cable. My question is A+ says this is backward compaitable with version 1.0. But, do i need the high speed drivers for the OS in order for it to work. Do i need to download a specific driver to add to the existing driver. Any help would be nice.
Sundust1

sundust1,

First insure that the printer gets installed and is recognized by the system. Check control panel > printers. Until it is installed & recognized all else is futile.

Most printers have a cd for installation if you don't see the link.

Lexmark driver & utils for 705 & win98

See if this gets it recognized. either way post back with results

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

The differance in the USB2 cable is extra shielding and higher standard of end fastenings, these features just make sure that it can handle the extra data throughput, drivers are not effected.

I would however recommend upgrading to SE (second edition) if you haven't already done so.

Typically with printers you install the drivers first then hook up the printer second.

Install latest W98 drivers off the lexmark website and make sure the printer is not setup for parallel printer cable use in properties (as I did only yesterday with a Lexmark)
Martin

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Rvnguy, i installed the drivers(CD) It added the printer under the control panel. I clicked properties/details and it shows the ports com1 com5 Lpt1 but, no usb. It has a selection for adding a port. But, when i go to add the usbmon(title) it does nothing. I know my usb port is older probably version 1. The cable is 2.0 do i need a Hub. I have windows 98SE so it should recoginize the printer from the usb cable as it does with my 128mb jumpdrive.

I know that USB is backward compatible (ie USB1 will run connected to USB2 ports - though it drags down everything connected to that hub to USB1 speeds) but I didn't know it was forward compatible?

Regards: tf1

Yes, it is forward compatible, usb 1 devices work on usb2 and vice versa.

Are you sure your usb ports (And maybe even just that one) are working? Do you have any other devices like a thumbdrive you can test it with and make sure? Or any other devices plugged into usb already.

Try deleting the printer, shutting the computer down, turning the printer on and restarting the computer. Make sure the usb is turned on in the bios and you see usb support in device manager.

I have tried all your suggestions. Yes, my usb is set in device mangler. It is a standard usb w/root hub. My hub shows the printer connected at 4ma. What i'm having problem with is the OS seeing it. When i load the printer driver it tries to detect my printer But, only shows file no usb. The only thing i can think of is buy a 2.0 pci usb device. In my device mangler it should say Enhanced usb for 2.0. It is intel and the website says to find windows 98SE drivers from a third party. Maybe, this will solve it. Please if anyone knows where i can get a 2.0 driver for an upgrade. I have a 82371 AB/EB pci to usb universal host controller amd intel root hub.
Sundust1

You should be able to download that driver from Intel.

Regards: tf1

sundust1,

"I have windows 98SE so it should recoginize the printer from the usb cable as it does with my 128mb jumpdrive."

Uninstall the jumpdrive software and any other usb device software such as a camera...etc...then reboot and see if it detects the printer. Sometimes the order in which usb devices are installed does matter.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought a new usb 2.0 card and installed it it would not recoginize it either I think the cable the problem. I will try that next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back