Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB backup problem with Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonesaz

Vendor
Dec 18, 2006
US
I need to reformat a Dell laptop. I am trying to create a restore flash drive. The Dell Recovery assistant tells me I need 7.91G. The first flashdrive I used was a 32G. It said it errored out, and now when I try and use it I am getting a message that says the drive needs formatted (which it was before I started) and won't let me format it.
I bought a new 10G one. Exactly the same thing happened. I really don't want to sit and ruin flash drives all day so I am wondering if anyone has any idea what might be happening. Thank you in advance.

and now when I try and use it I am getting a message that says the drive needs formatted (which it was before I started) and won't let me format it.

Delete the partitions that have been created on the drive before trying to format it.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Never heard of a 10G drive. They normally come in multiples of 2 - 8G, 16G, 32G, 64G, 128G.

Is it one of those security drives where you need to login before you can do anything with it.

After you plug in your USB drive go into explorer and right click on the USB drive letter and choose format. That will empty it and you should be able to load the recovery software of the drive.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

That will empty it
Not necessarily.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

sometimes a USB drive can have hidden volumes taking up much of the space. The following commands will wipe the usb key and restore all the space. Be very careful that you select the correct drive, otherwise you will wipe your computers hard drive. Thses commands will only work on windows.

1) run the CMD window in administrator mode (type cmd in run, right click on cmd selected above and select run as administrator). In the cmd windows use the following commands. For this example I am assuming that the USB drive is disk #1

diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
format quick fs=fat32
active
exit

The clean wipes the drive. Again be careful that you select the correct drive!!!

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back