Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Autoplay 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim532

MIS
Nov 28, 2005
US
I'd like make USB flash drives autoplay. I know I have to create an autorun.inf file and all that, but as I recall Autoplay for removable media is disabled in XP by default. So is there way to make the USB drive autoplay when inserted regardless of the default windows setting?

The reason I want to do this is because we want to hand Flash drives at trade shows with our company catalogue on them.

thanks

Look into shellout.exe here.

I know that autorun is setup differently for each device in XP but your device would be considered a "new" device by XP. Maybe a differently-worded post in the XP forum would be a good idea to confirm this.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Great info starfireone...have a star on me...start firing!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Star to wahnula for the link. That sounds like a nifty little program that I might could find some use in.

And a star to starfireone for your reference as well!

I've got to give both of these a try some time! [SMILE]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Hey kjv1611

Thanks for the star! I used shellout.exe when I put my entire company website on a 1.44MB floppy to hand out to customers. It worked great! Normally you don't think of a floppy as an "autoplay" device but shellout did the job. People of the time (2001) were quite impressed!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back