Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB and serials on Linux: ttyUSB??? and ttyS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

satchi

Programmer
Sep 15, 2003
US
Hi, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how Linux assigns ports for each USB device connected to the computer.
For serial devices, it's pretty straight forward on my machine:

There's two serial ports,
-the top one is assigned to /dev/ttyS0 and the
-bottom one is assigned to /dev/ttyS1.

Now the trouble is with USB devices. I noticed that there were several ttyUSB* (ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1, ttyUSB2....) in the /dev/ folder as well. How do I know which port is which number?, since USB ports are scattered all over the computer with no numbers.

Thanks in advance.

USB is dd because of the hotplug technology... You can insert and remove the devices while the computer is running... dmesg just after you plug in the device, look at /proc, if your distro has it use lsusb, and if all else fails (and the device is using the scsi mod for USB storage devices) look for the sgiutilities. Remember that usb flash devices aren't generally ttys but often sb*.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back