Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB and on-board modems not cooperating

Status
Not open for further replies.

aharrisreid

Programmer
Nov 17, 2000
GB
I have Hayes Accura ISDN Modem which I connect to my laptop (XP Pro (SP1)) via. a USB port. Everything works well until I use the on-board 56k modem.

When I use my on-board 56k modem (not at the same time as the ISDN modem)
it behaves very erratically, often slowly and often disconnects within a couple of minutes of connecting! If I physically disconnect the ISDN modem from the USB port (after 'shutting it down' via the software, otherwise I get the famous BSOD), everything is ok with the 56k modem.

I don't want to have to remember to unplug my ISDN modem (which is a pain to have to do via the software) every time I use the 56k modem (which is v. frequently).

Is there any way that both modems can live in harmony? Any help would be appreciated. I have made sure that the latest modem drivers are installed.

TIA,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back