Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB ADSL Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kspn

Technical User
Dec 26, 2001
AU
I want to setup a dsl-200 USB ADSL Modem on my Linux Computer (as a server0 and am having trouble fomding the drivers that would do the job.
for my ISP I need a LAN driver as compared to the standard that I have been abvle to find being a WAN driver.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
kspn

kspn - google kindly provided me with what looks like a handy walkthrough:
The driver is enough to make your machine communicate with the modem - the rest of the networking is configured by your linux network settings (found in etc/modules.conf and etc/network/).

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

I looked at that site and the problem is trhat is supplies a Wide Area Network (WAN) Driver Rather than the Local Area Network (LAN) driver that I need to communicate with my ISP.

Thanks For the Feedback Tho
KSPN

I looked at that site and the problem is trhat is supplies a Wide Area Network (WAN) Driver Rather than the Local Area Network (LAN) driver that I need to communicate with my ISP.

Thanks For the Feedback Tho
KSPN

??

a driver allows an o/s to communicate with hardware. there is no such thing as a &quot;lan driver&quot; vs a &quot;wan driver&quot;.

quote from the site:
&quot;This is to help anyone who is trying to setup a USB modem to be used with an ADSL Internet connection under Linx&quot;

Any further settings are found in your modem/network configuration. Not the driver.

Who's your ISP? (some use PPPoE rather than dynamic IP - in which case you'll need to make a few changes to the config files).

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

I have already Run through that process, My ISP uses a fixed Ip address and I have set everything up accordingly

But when I run the Activation cycle the information displayed says that it is a WAN driver.

The Modem software also has WAN/LAN drivers (For windows) and they are seperate drivers. I suspect that they use slightly different communicatiuon protocols and that is where I am getting errors.

I can synch with the ISP but it refuses to connect.

I ran through all the instructions on the page and I am at the point of Emailing the people who made the drivers to see if they can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back