Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB ADSL Modem and a Router!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sKiBa

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2004
GB
Finally got my ADSL hooked up yesterday, in true BT style they forgot to send me a modem, anyway got that expressed out today and it turns out it's USB only! Does anyone have any ideas how I can use this with my wireless router? USB to convertor RJ45 available in England? a hub that takes USB? i'm open to any suggestions but am thinking im going to have to send it back or swap my wireless router for one with a built in modem, something that I didn't really wany.
Ta

personally, I'd swap the router with one that has cable modem built in...

but I suppose u can just get a small hub, with rj45 and usb connectors, to sit in between those 2...

Your ISP should have asked you whether you wanted a USB or ethernet modem. If they didn't, then there should be no problem requesting a replacement. That way, you don't have to worry about making an extra purchase.

I don't think going with a modem/router solution is your best option because you've already invested in the router.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I have to agree with cdogg. Contact your ISP, tell them the error, and get them to send you a modem with the RJ45 connection as apposed to just USB. If you're in a hurry, and want to use it as is for now, you might could try finding an adapter as you mentioned already. I don't know about what stores are in the UK, but you might could start by looking at and/or . If you want to find a good description, model #, and such, you could try - I'd imagine they'd shipt to the UK as well, but don't know. I'm in the US, and find pretty much anything I want there. Also, if you have a local electronics store, such as maybe Radio Shack, they usually have all kinds of adapters - but I'd call first to the local store to make sure the adapter is in stock.

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

Might look on

For a book store they have a wide selection of modems, gateways, and routers. I dont know who makes the best ADSL hardware as I am a Cable Modem Man; Hee, Hee.

There was a company that made a USB Router but it was pretty pricey.

Try asking at this website and see if they know where to get the right hardware:

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

thanks for the responses, I contacted the ISP and they only do one ethernet modem, can you believe it! It is also about 3 times the price of all the others, I am going to send back this USB one and get them to give me a refund. I went and bought a D-Link G604T and it has done the job perfectly plus if I add the price of a modem to the separate wireless router I was buying it works out pretty much the same anyway. Only quarrel is that we have thick walls here and the signal doesnt quite reach where I want it to, guess a repeater is next on the list! thanks again.

The only "fly in the ointment" with not using the ISP supplied modem is that in the event of an ADSL line problem, the first thing BT will ask you to do is run some diagnostic tests. These tests will only work with their modem - Boing!

ROGER.

Well, most ISP's have a list of modems they will support, even if they do not directly supply them. You'll just have to check with your ISP first before making the purchase to see if it will cause problems or not.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back