Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB adapter ip address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rascii

Technical User
Feb 20, 2003
US
I have been searching this and other forums for an answer. I have a pc that boots into Win98, Win2000, & XP. I use a Belkin wireless USB adapter to connect to my SMC dsl router. Everything works great in 98 & XP, but in Win2000 I can't access internet. The WLAN manager shows good signal, but when I run ipconfig it shows 0.0.0.0 for ip & subnet. Somehow I am not able to recieve an ip address from the router?
I can set a manual ip and default gateway in Network Properties for the Belkin USB, but when I run ipconfig from dos prompt it still shows 0.0.0.0???? I can ping 127.0.0.1 but nothing else.?
Belkin has not replied to my problem. Any suggestions would be great!!

I just ran into this problem with the Linksys wireless router, check the firmware and the drivers. Josh McMahon
A+ Certified
jmcmahon@lexgen.com

Did this get resolved?

I have recently moved Belkin USB Wireless Adapter (F5D6050)from Win98SE (where it worked perfectly) to Windows 2000 and now find that, after a reboot, it will only connect to the access point if you manually make it rescan (it looks like it's working but a rescan kicks it into really connecting).

It all appears to work fine after that even if you switch users (and do not reboot!). Unfortunately you need to have administrator in order to run the Belkin Wireless Manager in order to get the rescan initiated which is not what I give my kids!

I have Windows 2000 patches all up to date and September 2002 drivers from Belkin web page.

A Belkin PCMIA wireless adapter works just perfectly in a laptop with similar Windows 2000 so it seems to be a particular USB related issue?

Maybe You need to enable USB legacy in the BIOS, It may get reseted when Windows looks for Network settings and cannot see the USB devices. Its a long shot but it might work.

Now that's a great suggestion. Just the sort of niggly thing that might occur especially as it's a new motherboard build. I'll check it out in the morning (kids are asleep so I can't get in there now).

Thanks

Hey thanks ffrut! I can live with that. I get a good signal strenth after a boot but 0.0.0.0 for an ipconfig, but after a rescan as you suggest I get an IP and I'm off and running. Sure beats re-installing every time. That makes me wonder if a guy could change the initiation order in the registry or something. USB might be tough though.

Win2K with SP4 recognises wireless devices (and also USB2) as drivers are now built in, I believe.

[lipstick]

Glad to be able to help with a workaround Rascii. :)

But it's still not working the way it SHOULD do is it? It still looks like I have to give my kids administrator and show them how to fire up the Belkin Monitor and force a rescan in order to get the PC talking to the rest of my network (multiplayer Age of Empires is a critical resource in my household!).

I checked my BIOS settings and found that USB legacy support was already set enabled - good suggestion but not the answer.

It must be a USB related issue as the PCMIA version from Belkin works just perfectly.

Hey! I just checked the Belkin UK web site and there's a new set of drivers out there - version 2.14 dated 23rd June 2003.

Maybe.... just maybe......

I'll try them in the morning.

Hey ffrut,
I happened to check their site also and found those drivers. I installed SP4 and no go. I installed the new Belkin drivers and walla! I get an ip and my internet takes right off on every boot! Crazy thing though, now the signal strength doesn't show up.. just the signal quality??? Oh well, can't have everything. I've been waiting for Belkin to put out the second driver revision. I even had a shortcut on my desktop to check all the time.

I loaded the drivers also and found it all works just fine. I get both strength and signal.

For the record - in the Belkin Wireless Manager application I show:
Driver 1.9.8.311
Firmware 0.100.5.78
Application 3.1.4.22
which all came from version 2.14 dated 23/6/2003 from the Belkin web site.

Running on:
Windows 2000 SP3
Athlon 2400+
MSI KT4V (6712) motherboard

Thanks for the support and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back