Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB 4-Port Powered Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmwar

Instructor
Oct 13, 2002
US
I have an unnamed 4-port USB hub that usually works fine that has connected to it a Printer, Scanner, and Mouse. A problem occurs whenever I want to connect a fourth item, namely a digial camera card reader to upload pictures. I sometimes disconnect the hub and let it recycle. Reboot the system and find the optical mouse will not be powered. I removed the mouse from the port and left only the scanner and printer connected. Then when I connect the card reader it prevents the printer from working. What is going on? The individual hub lights are all on. Rebooting helps and/or disconnecting the power supply to the hub to recycle. I would like to be able to just connect the reader whenever I wanted to upload pictures. Do any other hubs work without the problems that I have described?

I have 2 D-Links which have a variety of equipment attached including a printer, graphics tablet, and some camera cables. I have had no problems.

I would really like to have someone explain what is happening regarding this hub preventing some devices from not working after they have previously been performing well for a long time. Any ideas?

Is this a "powered" hub? I found on my system (after much hard work - then read the manual!), that by using a certain port for expansion - it affected the other ports.

Soprry, just re-read your post, it is powered. It is possible that there is not enough power'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back