Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB 2 - USB 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
When viewing in Device Manager, how do you tell the difference between between USB, USB 2, USB 3 ports?

What OS? I'm on Windows 7 here and I see devices named 'USB 2.0 Hub' and 'USB 3.0 Hub'.

Nelviticus

Right. And what's the point of knowing that in Device Manager when you really need to know which is which on the motherboard?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Didn't think that the O.S. mattered. USB is USB!
Anyway, Win 8.1. I have USB on the mobo, USB 2.0 as part of a card reader, USB 2.0 (4) on a PCI card, and USB 3 (2) on another card.
All Device Manager shows is the different ports, and that they are O.K.!
I'd like some way of knowing which is which.

I assume you can already identify which version the sockets are, since the USB 3 ones are blue. If device manager doesn't tell you enough via the name, you can sometimes deduce things by checking the properties of the items. For instance, on the 'Driver' tab of one of mine if I click 'Driver Details' I can see that the driver file is named 'iusb3hub.sys'. Except ... both the USB 3 and USB 2 items have the same driver. Bah, try again.

Actually I think that that 'USB 2.0 Hub' I'm seeing is probably for the USB 3 hub when it operates in USB 2 mode.

Anyway, have a click around in the device properties and see whether anything in there gives you a clue. Alternatively, if you really need to find out then selectively disable items and see what stops working.

Nelviticus

Try Nir Sofer's USBDeview and, using a USB 3 device, check the 'Hub / Port' column to determine which port is used and the 'USB Version' column to see the actual connected speed (i.e. port capability rather than device capability).

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back