Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

usb 2 external drive problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tutty

Technical User
May 24, 2005
US
I recently purchased a WD 120 GB external USB 2 hard drive, and an Addonics USB 2.0/ firwire card with an NEC chip. The hard drive gets recognized and operates fine when plugged into my pre-existing 1.1 ports, but when plugged in to my new 2.0 ports...it puts my computer into a constant reboot loop until I turn the hard drive off. The funny thing is that other things operate just fine off of the new 2.0 ports, just the hard drive won't work. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

Right Click on 'My Computer'
Click Properties
Select the Advanced tab
Click the Settings button under 'Startup and Recovery'
Remove the check from the 'Automatically Restart' checkbox

The next time it encounters a problem, it will give you an error message rather than restarting.
Post back with the error message.

I've confirmed that the box is now unchecked but I still get a reboot loop when I try to access the drive.

Make sure the card is fully inserted.

If ok, then try a different known working USB cable with the HD.

If no luck, then uninstall and reinstall the card's drivers.

If still no luck, then try updated drivers for the card(if available).

If no good or the card is using the latest drivers, then see if the HD has the same problem on another system in USB 2.0.
If it does, then either the HD may be defective.

If the HD works ok on another system, then the card may be bad.

Western Digital told me to use another port or a different PCI card. Gee,what a great suggestion! I'm going to hook the drive up to another PC and see what happens. Haven't tried a different cable yet, but I'm using the brand new one that came with the drive so I doubt that will be the cause. I will try it anyway before I bring the drive to a different PC.

Have seen bad USB cables that were shipped with new HD's.

The guy at western digital was right in telling you to try another port, some pci ports are shared and others arent, for one thing.
Ski has made a good point to try a different cable as often its the little things or the unexpected. I too have seen new cables that are useless.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

I have tried two other cables and there is no change. My next step will be to take the drive to a differnet PC. If there are any other suggestions I welcome them. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back