Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB 2.0 and external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronan

Technical User
Jan 11, 2006
ME

I have problem with my PC Desktop XP Pro SP-3 and USB 2.0
On the same machine I have USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 installed ( this one later on ), whit two separate connecting cables
When connect any of removable storage devices on USB 1.1 , all is working , but when try to connect external HDD on USB 2.0 , the Removable Storage is not visible on My Computer and in Device Manager there is yellow exclamation sign near to USB Mass Storage Device.
Search on Google doesn’t help – try to uninstall and reinstall all USB drivers, then removed one hidden file from Windows.inf. with zero results.
At the same time other removable Storage devices like USB Flash Drive, works with USB 2.0 without any problems.
I repeat External HDD works with USB 1.1 O.K. but very slow of course.
Can this be caused because of power supply, or some other reason.
Any advice to fix it, please

It could, maybe he USB 2.0 ports aren't providing enough power to the drive? does the Hard drive have its own power source or does it rely entirely on the power from USB ports?

How were the USB 2.0 ports installed add-on PCI card?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Are you plugging in to the front loading USB or the rear? The rear USB are the better connectors from my limited hardware knowledge.

USB 2.0 is installed on PC Card with 4 slots.
From the rear USB 2.0 slots , I am using appropriate cable
to connect my devices.
If this cable isn't O.K., then why other devices like USB Flash works without any problem with the same stuff.
External HDD is O.K. because works with USB 1.1- but as I said very slowly.
External HDD receives the power from USB 2.0.
PC Card is installed on Mainboard.
Is there any power consumption difference between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0, please.
I forgot to mention , I am receiving the messge:
"The device cannot start (Code 10 )"
In Event Viewer/System, for Source Removable Storage Sev receiving Error Event ID 111
Description: RSM could not load media in drive Drive 0 of library Disk drive.

USB 2.0 is installed on PC Card with 4 slots.
driver update?
If this cable isn't O.K., then why other devices like USB Flash works without any problem with the same stuff.
USB Flash drives plug directly into the ports, not at the end of the cable that plugs into a ext. HDD...
External HDD is O.K. because works with USB 1.1- but as I said very slowly.
still does not eliminate a bad cable, e.g. cable could be only USB1.1 certified (no shielding etc.)... and
"The device cannot start (Code 10 )"
tells me it is not getting enough power...
External HDD receives the power from USB 2.0.
most ext. HDDs have an extra connector for power, e.g. 5volt brick, have you tried it with a separate power source or a powered USB HUB?
Is there any power consumption difference between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0, please.
actually not, but there may be a difference in power output, especially with add-in cards... see above on using extra power brick or powered HUB...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

This discusses the power usage by USB devices.

USB 4-Port Hub - What brand is this?
thread779-1304010

My experience for what it is worth regarding a USB2 external HDD is as follows.
In the past week I connected up a "Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus" 1TB Ext HDD to a fairly old Athlon box with 1.5GB of memory running XP SP3.
The USB2 is via a PCI Card like Bronan's, at the same time I attached a good quality self powered USB2 Hub so that I could hookup a printer, camera, USB stick and now an external HDD.
To date I have not had any problems with the HDD or any of the other items being recognised. I have set four partitions on the ext HDD and they all are recognised at switch on.
If you do decide on a powered Hub make sure that it is a full spec USB2, when I was looking for mine I saw a few that contained weasel words regarding compliance with the USB2 spec.

toolman59

Thanks for your replies,
Problem is fixed in very simple way.
Connection cable between External HDD RAC is in shape “Y”.
I decided to connect in the same time both cables – one to USB 1.1 and other to USB 2.0 and all start work as should be.
All this can be useful to anyone facing similar problem.
Once again , thanks for your assistance and help

The Y cable is designed to provide enough power to the Hard Drive. I'm pretty sure had you plugged the Y cable into 2 USB 2.0 ports it would have worked just the same.

The point here, is that the USB 2.0 port is not producing enough power by itself to run the drive. Usually drives will have their own power source to get around this.

Alternatively as someone mentioned a powered USB hub may have also worked.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

decided to connect in the same time both cables – one to USB 1.1 and other to USB 2.0 and all start work as should be.
Yep, just as I thought, not enough power output over the USB2.0 ports... the extra cable is for powering the device...

glad you got it running...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back