Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Usage of XML to storage, change and visualize client's data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Investigator

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2002
RU
Hi,
We are working on the telephone system and I have a number of questions regarding XML.

The situation is as follows:
There is a number of telephone lines. Every line has unique ID. Every line can have a great number of features, for example call forwarding based on rules, restrictions, speed dial numbers, etc. Features can be added in the future.
Edition of the features should be provided at least from the web and from the telephone(actually from the perl script that manages the telecommunication session).

I heard that XML is intended for resolution of similar tasks and want to hear about it from experienced guys.
Suppose that data should be stored as follows:
table feature:
line_id feature_type_id feature_params
1 1 key=value, key=value ..
2 2 key=value, key=value

table feature_type_desc:
feature_type_id feature_name feature_template
1 access_right XML
2 speed_dial_number XML

script gets XML from feature_type_desc, modifies it with feature_params(this is for minimization of the stored data because suppose that only parameters will be changed) and uses it for the determination of the features provisioned or for visualization purposes.

I am new in XML and have little knowledge on it so the questions are:
1. What does it make sense to use for working with XML data from perl ?
2. What module (simple as well enough) does it make sense to use for visualization of XML from perl ?
3. What module (simple as well enough) does it make sense to use for visualization of XML from php ?

Thanks,
in advance for the professional answers on my questions.

the libxml/libxslt libraries are probably the most advanced, and seem to be very fast. there are complete perl modules for it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back