Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Usage of Variable in the sql Prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

motto

Programmer
May 28, 2000
IN
Hi,<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;How to declare a variable in the<br>SQL&gt;Prompt and use the same in any PL/SQL<br>Block.Hope got my question.<br><br>Thanks in advance<br>Motto

If you mean from within SQL*Plus:<br>'SET DEFINE ON' and then prefix your variable names with '&', eg.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;SELECT column1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;FROM&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;table<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;WHERE&nbsp;&nbsp;column2 = '&my_variable'<br>SQL*Plus will prompt you for the value every time it runs.<br>If you use '&&' as a prefix the variable will be kept for the<br>remainder of the SQL*Plus session.<br><br>I hope this answers your question.

The use of & or && as variable markers may not be what you want here. These will simply perform text substitution within a SQL*Plus script. If you want to reference your value from within a PL/SQL stored procedure for example, you'll need to declare a bind variable.<br>To declare a PL/SQL variable in SQL*Plus, use the variable command, then reference it using a colon, e.g.<FONT FACE=monospace><br>SQL&gt; variable a number;<br>SQL&gt; execute :a := 2;<br><br>PL/SQL procedure successfully completed<br><br>SQL&gt; print a<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;A<br>---------<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2<br><br>SQL&gt; select :a * 4 from sys.dual;<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;:A*4<br>---------<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8<br><br>SQL&gt;</font><br>I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back