Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

usage of comma 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobp

Programmer
Oct 19, 2001
DE
Hi,
I have seen some old cobol programs that uses a ',' 12 th column on many lines(not a part of STRING or similar verbs). Any body knows about significance of comma? thanks

Can you show us some examples?

Regards, Jack.

Sounds like a coding style used by another contributor (Wim Ahlers) to this forum.

He apparently uses the commas to show the intended indentation of his code. For some this may be helpful, but I find it distracting.

I haven't checked it out, but I suspect the comma is treated as whitespace by the compiler.

Personally, since the comma is extraneous, I prefer to omit them completely in my code.

"Code what you mean,
and mean what you code!
But by all means post your code!"

Razalas

Hi, this is Wim Ahlers!

I need that to align my code because I have a small dislexic disorder.
It is not to emphasize indentation but to align the scope delimeters otherwise I don't see them (that easily).

Also, position 12 is irrelevant. I could and do use the comma in other columns. It depends on the 'nesting' levels (though I usually never go beyond 3 levels depth!).

The comma can be omitted. Everybody is free to do so. But for me it is easier when I use them.

Regards, Wim Ahlers.

N.B. If you want see a full blown source using the comma as I normally use it then request the COMBSORT source as described in the forum entry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back