Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USA National Grammar Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael52x

Technical User
Oct 4, 2005
US
Wow! Quoting Courtny Love in an article about grammar?
Yeah, we merkins have some pretty far-fetched lingo.
Of course, WE understand it, like only an Aussie understands another.
I worked for a plumber from NZ who told me to get a "stilson". Well, I could not find any cheese in the truck, and stood there looking at the tools. Another kiwi came by and told me it was a pipe wrench. I've got pipe wrenches, monkey wrenches, duck wrenches,{straight-on}
even a german tank wrench, but none of them are Stilson's![brand name, Ha!}
I find printer language, not logic, but parts, have odd names from different makers. Tyre=Roller, Turn chute=Paper guide, Transfix roller=Pressure roller. Fixing assy.=Fuser.
I've never found any cheese in a printer either, but I suspect that it's secretly used at the factory for grease.[rednose]

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

Michael52x:
A couple of questions:

1. Quoting Courney Love in what article about grammar?

2. Are all your conversations this stream-of-consciousness?

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

Looks like this is the article.
Courtney Love said:
ive been nbot working the tightest program and been multi tasking and managing time horribly- so i was on the phone and i said i wanted pretty short bangs- not NO bangs and she cut them when i was on the phone with one of these whakcjob banks that heres some trust and some joint bogus account and some insane mortage in- these f***s for years and years and years=- in anycase anyone know exactly how many records Nirvana has sold all in worldwide since Nirvana started?
Yeah, wow! And I thought I could understand English.

Thank you, Rambler. I forgot to post the source, sorry all.
I thought it was an ironic piece, and pertinent to the state of language here in the U.S. Texting is not helping!

"Conscious states are fleeting at best. I have many.
I like to write poetry and science fiction stories.
I think about going home and plugging in my guitar, and absolutely shredding on my new effects toy.
When am I going to get another beer?"

How could this be written in a more concise form?

My Grammar and Grandpar are both dead, so it doesn't do me any good to celebrate. ;-)

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

USA Grammar, Is this a trick question? : )

Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!

USA grammar is an oxymoron. It is not being taught in the public schools. The papers my children have written through the years have not been graded for grammar since about 1995. [mad]

Exactly! With technology making leaps and bounds into the world of info transfer, why learn the "old school" stuff.
People today learn the least they have to do in anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back