Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

US Robotics WinModem 3CP5699A 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchshin

MIS
Dec 6, 2000
US
I go through the process of putting the modem in
& everytime it gets ready to load the drivers it says "winmodem
installer" disk required. After hitting ok it goes through a list of files
that can't be found. Heres the wierd part, after looking through the modem
cd in explorer it has the files needed but they're different. All of
the dll & .vxd files are .dl_ &.vx_. Also it says it cant find say
"265699A3ccntry.dll" while the file on the cd is listed as simply
"3ccntry.dl_". I have downloaded the needed drivers from the 3com site at work and
they are fine until I install them at home then it goes right back to
.dl_ When I finally got them to stay as .dll it still cant find them. I
assume this is because of the 265699A so I rename them to no avail. I
have run out of things to try. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Try running Setup.exe from the disk. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Having been exposed to modem problems for quite a long time, below is my advice to anyone having your kind of problem. Please try it and let me know the outcome.

Firstly, backup your registry. Then got to START, RUN, and type REGEDIT. Double click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, below it you will see a subsection called Enum, double click it to expand it. Do the same to the one marked PCI, you should now see some keys marked VEN_*******, expand each one and below it you will see another key marked BUS_******. Expand that key and each one will show you a name and data in the right-hand pane. One of those is your modem and the name will be clear. Now here's the brave bit, delete the key marked BUS_*******. Reboot, and Win98 will install your modem.

However, if your modem is still acting up, you might have to change it or sort it out via the manufacturers website.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Phil [roll1]
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back