Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

US Robitic Modems with Cisco 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasBPF

Technical User
Aug 24, 2007
US
So we are setting up the US Robotic modems in our field sites so that we can OutOfBand into them incase of a network outage... Cisco put out a pretty cool doc on setting up the Robotic modems and what not, and I can connect to the router in our lab. The thing is, about a minute into the conversation I lose my connection....

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

A lot of telephone lines now are SIP to analog or SIP to PRI on the trunk side. If the one you're using is such a line, you will have a lot of issues with connections to modems over it. I have found that disabling modem compression and reducing speed to 9600 baud helps sometimes. Also, if your carrier will cooperate, ask them to set enable g.711 for the line your using.

hmm... interesting, sucks that the PRI is screwin with the modems.. because that is how we are getting out from our office, using FXS ports to dial out. And for right now in the lab, we are dialing out the FXS -> PRI -> back into PRI -> to a different FXS

have disabled the modem compression and reduced the speed to 9600 baud.

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

figured out the issue... and it wasn't with the modems, actually was the config on the router connected to the PRI's. Needed to make the primary clocking source be the PRI instead of letting the router decide that the backplane be the primary choice.

Also fixed isses that we were having with random fax machines dropping calls.

Two birds. One stone.

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back