Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

url suffix removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's absolutely correct!

Web browsers pick up index.htm (html) and default.htm (html).

So if you have your site sorted into directories then all you have to do is name the 'main' page in each directory as one of the above.

So with this address:
Your main page in music will be index.htm (or one of the above) and will be picked up by the browser. Very neat way to do things.[thumbsup2]
funkymonk B-)

rod@sameplanet.co.uk

Hi guys,

I am going to confuse things here...

If you go to one of my sites and remove the .shtml extension from the URL then you still see the page in question just as Sickpuppy was wanting..

I run my own server and to be honest, I don't have a clue what it is that activates this but it works..

Hope this helps Wullie

Ahh, sounds like your sever has a little inteligence of it's own.... Does it still have to be named index or default..? funkymonk B-)

rod@sameplanet.co.uk

AFAIk once its an index file it will be picked up. Some of my directories have an index.pl or index.cgi etc and it works also. Alternatively you could just place in an index.htm and have an automatic redirect to the page you want to start from, you'll still end up with

I always use these "short url's" as in my sig below

I got bloody bored at the weekend:
É,
<!--#include file=&quot;profound quotation&quot; -->

Hi mate,

These are not DirectoryIndex files and they are all in the same directory..

I have a lot of different DirectoryIndex files setup but these are not included in it..

I have changed so much of the server config that it would be hard to pinpoint what directive changes this, but I am 99% sure that you would need access to the httpd.conf file to make this work..

If you chck out the following url's then you should see what I mean. All are in the same directory and nore are set as DirectoryIndex..

Hope this helps Wullie

If you are running your own server (and it's IIS) you have the luxury of defining your own default documents for each folder in each web site. You can also put them in the order you want the server to look for them.

i.e. default.htm, then index.htm, then default.asp, then whatever.html etc.

MSB [peace] webdev@cox.net

can can change those options in apachie too... you just need to go into the files to change those things... it's not difficult if you know how to do it... I for one, have no clue how to use Apachee.... never have, and probably wont:) i use ms products almost exclusivly... (almost:))

--Junior JHauge@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

As previously mentioned, these are NOT DirectoryIndex files!!

BTW. You do not actually need to have access to the server config, it really depends on what your host allows you to do (Or what they have mistakenly set-up)..

Most directives that are used globally in your httpd.conf file can be used inside htaccess for specific directories..

I am not going to go into this as this is a web site designers forum and not an apache forum..[wink]

Hope this helps

Wullie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back