Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URL Icons - Good? Bad?-

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwillr

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2003
CA
I see some sites with URL icons (as opposed to the standard IE icon.)

What do you all think about the use of these? Does it make the site look too unprofessional?? Are there situations you would use them in rather than certain others/?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Gary

I don't have a problem with them... If you are using IE, you usually only see them when you have bookmarked the site into your favourites. On other browsers, eg firefox, they appear not only in the favourites list, and the URLs of sites bookmarked, but in the URL line of any site that uses them, as well as the tab that you have the site open in.

The use of logos, characters and other some-such is a good technique for building awareness.

As far as looking unprofessional, they only look as unprofessional as they've been designed to look. If I was to do one it would probably look very unprofessional... One designed by a graphic designer would hopefully look pretty classy.

I can't see any reason _not_ to use them, other than you actually have to go to the trouble of creating one.

Check for more info

[sub]Never be afraid to share your dreams with the world.
There's nothing the world loves more than the taste of really sweet dreams.
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back