Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URL Command line problem. (Hiding userid and Password)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Park

MIS
May 22, 2001
US
I know that you need to pass the userid and password through the url command line. But is there anyway to hide them for security purposes?

Thanks,
1park

1Park,

I had this problem using Crystal Enterprise. If you are using JavaScript, then you can write functions to store the UserID and Password in an included .js file, then call those functions from your .ASP page to set the UserID and Password fields before submitting the report. You'll also need to write a function to submit the report in that same include file. Since the relevant code is in an include file reference, it won't be visible through View Source.

If this sounds potentially helpful but confusing, let me know. I'm still working out the kinks of this particular solution, and JavaScript isn't for everyone.

Richard A. Polunsky
Houston, Texas

We set up a special 'read-only' user-id and password that was used exclusively for Crystal reports. I don't know if that would work for you or not.

Hi there.

Why don't you change your password to something like "********", that way, people will think it's hidden, when it's not!

Another thing you could do is to include the page within a frame, so the link doesn't show up in the address bar, and specify your status bar text so neither place will show the username and password.

Cheap and easy!

Good luck!
Brenda :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back