Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT: Whole DB emptied during the night:

Status
Not open for further replies.

vekara

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2003
FI
Hi,

I just can't believe this. I had 450Mb empty space on my HDD when backups started. Only 25 min later logs shows error that diskspace below minimum. (error is : Unable to add session record, EC=-** avallable disk space below minimum)

Some moments later just E4101, unable to login to database (ec=-2500).

No other errors. But all DB files except asobject and astpsdat were emptied (about 32kb size).

What have happened? How can ArcServe empty the whole DB? What should I do? I thought of making complete DB reinitialization -> tape inventory -> merging of latest weekly backups. Would that work?

Thanks!

Well first off the two database you mentioned asobject and astpsdat are typically the largest databases. In many cases the other database do not grow that large to begin with. So it is possible that the Database is just as it was prior to the drive getting filled up. It is designed to automaticly shut down when the threshold is met to prevent corruption.

One way to find out what is taking up all the space is to use the Windows Search application. Set it up to find files larger than five or ten megabytes.

After the hard drive space is freed up then take a look in the database to see if the backup history is there. If it is missing get the tape from the last completed backup and do a Recover.

Vekara,
When you do a backup ARCserve creates files in the ARCserve\Temp directory (Catalog Files). Depending on how many files you have is dependant on how large these files grow.
QUESTION - Are there files in the ARCserve\Temp folder?
They would either be a *.CAT or *.TMP

These files get recorded to the end of each session on tape and then a process is spawned to merge these into the database. Once these are merged they should be automatically deleted.

The Velocis.ini file in the ARCserve\Database directory tells the Database engine when to put it in a read only mode as there is insufficient space to process. The line of interest is MinFreeDiskSpace=10485760

Hi,

Thanks for info, both! Reason was that our RAID card wasn't working properly. It corrupted the disk. As a resolution I first changed hardware, then restored DB's and then applied all DB tools.

Now everything should be working Ok again. So reason why HDD was filled up so quicly, and why about 4gb's disappeared afterward was RAID adapter.

First time on my experience than RAID adapter is causing this kind of behaviour...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back