Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent....problem with built in functions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

griswom

Technical User
May 13, 2002
US
Hello All,

I just got a freshly formatted computer, and for some reason this install of Access is not recognizing built in functions such as Date(), InStr(), etc? Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Griz

Almost surely: missing references.
Open a module, go to Tools-References and see what's 'MISSING'

Dan

I believe the above responses could be somewhat enhanced for someone who has not experienced this problem before. Danvlas is exactly correct but the Microsoft link provided in the second doesn't really apply, because it talks about the basic Access references which are almost never missing.

Here's what happens. When an Access application is developed it requires certain files, or libraries, in order to understand what is in the code. These libraries become references to the exact location on disk where the file libraries exist. When the .mdb file is moved to another computer those files may not exist is the exact location as they were on the development system, so they are MISSING. When Access looks at the list of references and finds any library which is MISSING it stops processing the rest of the reference libraries and so it almost always results in a 'Project or library not found.' even thought it is in the location it should be. It could also be from a library used during development that is not on the target computer at all. For instance, if the developer used the library for Outlook XP (Outlook 10 Object Library)and the target computer is using Outlook 2000 (Outlook 9 Object Library). These type errors can almost always be corrected by unchecking the missing library and selecting the older but compatible library using the add references button.

Open the tools\references as mentioned and unchecking the missing reference will almost always correct the problem, but you may also need to add a compatible reference.
----------------------
scking@arinc.com
Life is filled with lessons.
We are responsible for the
results of the quizzes.
-----------------------

scking,

I think that you had the problem pinpointed. I created the database on a local drive and then moved it to a network drive. That must have resulted in the functions not working probably. Thank you all for your kind assistance.

Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back