Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent: need help to recover deleted file 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheer8923

Programmer
Aug 7, 2006
US
What's the best tool to recover files deleted under Windows XP?

Thanks!

Yeah, it's user profile directory I deleted via the profile manager. Someone actually store their data in the desktop folder. Need to get them back. I just hope not too much data was overwritten.

Are there any recent Backups?

313877 - User Data Is Missing After You Delete a User Account

"When you choose to delete a user account in the User Accounts tool in Control Panel, you receive the following prompt:
Do you want to keep User's files?
Before you delete User's account, Windows can automatically save the contents of User's desktop and My Documents folder to a new folder called User on your desktop. However, Windows cannot save User's e-mail messages, Internet favorites, and other settings".

Data recovery.

PC Inspector (freeware but quite good)

Plenty of other recovery software listed here.

Best of luck, recovering data is a bit hit and miss, unless you want to spend large amounts of cash on professional data recovery companies.

Run GetDataBack last night and got most of stuff back. It was on C: drive so some files overwritten.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back